Saturday, October 29, 2011

THE CONFERENCE MEET

      Finally, after a whole season of training, the weekend of the Conference was finally here! The team left Friday afternoon, and made our way to Decorah for our biggest meet of the season.  After stopping on the way at an awesome restaurant, we finally got to the hotel. The nerves were getting to me, and what was actually about a two hour car ride felt like years.  The hotel we stayed at was very interesting, and scary, but that’s Decorah for you:) After getting settled down, we had an awesome team meeting in the lobby in which we all shared motivational quotes and discussed our game plan for the race. The Next morning,  we got up early and went to the course. As a whole, the race didn’t go as well as we planned as we finished 7th on the guys side,  but I was lucky enough to witness our captain, Kyle Heineman become the first male Kohawk to win the individual conference title.  For me personally it was great to see our teammate succeed, and it really motivated all of our younger guys to step up for the years to come. Apollo Ohno once said “If I have given all I have and still do not win, I haven’t lost , some people remember the wins and losses, but I remember the journey.” Overall it was a rough day, and a poor race on my part, but I learned a lot from the experience, and I know the next three conference meets, I will be able to look back at today, and improve as a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment