Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ryan and The Writing Center's Excellent Adventure to Madison

Madison, Wisconsin is a fun place for a Writing Center Conference!

They have a BIG CHAIR in Madison, Wisconsin
This past Thursday, a group of Writing Center Consultants left to go to Madison, Wisconsin for a Writing Center Convention.  We were there to give some presentations about research our writing center had done and to see and maybe steal ideas from other writing centers in the midwest.  One conference that really stuck out in my head was given by the writing center at Notre Dame University.  They talked about how writing formally and informally is basically two different languages and I'd never really thought about it like that.  Because I sat through this presentation, I know that it definitely made me a better writer.  After the conferences I was lucky enough to meet up with some friends who live in the area.  I was very lucky to get a real tour of Madison, which included storming the Capitol Building (just kidding; but we did get to go inside), eating at Five Guys, sitting in a giant chair and purchasing a monocle.  Sadly, the day had to come to an end and we headed back to the hotel knowing that our own presentation was looming the next day.

The next morning I woke up and I was extremely tired because I'd let my roommate/teammate Jon Ameling talk me into staying up until 4 in the morning watching "Scream", so we could find out who the bad guy was.  (I still can't believe it's Shaggy from the Scooby Doo movies:  he seemed like such a good guy!)  Luckily, Mountain Dew came in to save the day again, and our presentation went very well.  We returned to Coe shortly after our presentation, tired but happy it was a success!  I can't wait until the next writing center trip two weeks from now in Miami!  Until the next adventure.....Ryan Rey

No comments:

Post a Comment