Monday, January 30, 2012

Exciting weekend!

This past week was our only week without a track meet for while, so instead of hopping on a bus and going to a meet, I got to enjoy all of the great things Coe had to offer this weekend. Friday night I was able to go watch part of my first ever Blindspot. Blindspot is a variety show that Coe students produce a couple times a year, and I know that one of our bloggers Hailley got to go up there and perform in front of all of her classmates!
This weekend Coe was also host to all kinds of different sporting events, from swim meets to wrestling conference duals to basketball games. Friday night the swim team took on Morningside College, and while watching fellow athletes compete for Coe was great, My favorite part of the event was definately the splash contest. Shoutout to Andrew Dewar for representing the track program and showing some pretty great form!
Saturday morning after our long run, a bunch of the track guys went to support our wrestlers, and it was clear as the duals went on, that they have been working extremely hard and getting consistently better all season. There is no doubt in my mind that I would not be able to handle wrestling for more that a minute, so I definately have to give them their props! Good luck with the rest of your season Kohawk wrestlers.
Finally, my roomate and I went to the girls and guys basketball games, where they faced University of Dubuque. The girls game was first, and it was close the whole time, Dubuque hit a big shot to force overtime, but in the end Coe came into the overtime period ready to close the game out, and win 75-68! The boys game was next, and this one was exciting because it was a matchup between two of the top three schools in the conference, and also a rematch from a game that Coe had lost earlier in the season. At the beginning of the game, Coe was down by 10 early, but then something just clicked, they took it to the next level, and were able to handle the Spartans 70-68. Congratulations to Coach Juckem on his 100th win as a Kohawk!
Sunday was much more relaxed, I spent my day doing some pretty intense Macroeconomics homework, and celebrated my roomates birthday in the classiest way possible......We went to Taco Bell. That night I was able to do some work in the writing center for Colere. Colere is a literary magazine that Coe produces every year, and that I am lucky enough to be a part of. I look forward to continuing to read peoples selections for Colere, and I know that when it is finished, this will once again be a great piece of work.
   Overall, this was a great weekend here in beautiful Cedar Rapids, and I would like to once again thank every student who participated in Blindspot, or competed for Coe this weekend. It was awesome watching everyone succeed in their own different areas. It truly was a great weekend to be a Kohawk.
Until the next adventure, Ryan Rey

No comments:

Post a Comment