Sunday, September 4, 2011

My First Two Weeks as a Kohawk!



















Last Few Weeks of August 2011:
Welcome to my blog!  My name is Ryan Rey and I am a freshman from Plainfield, Illinois.  I hope that reading my blog will tell you a little bit about Coe College, and about my adventures as a new student here!  I got to Coe a week before the rest of the freshmen, for Cross Country practice.  I think this was a good thing, because it gave me plenty of time to move into my dorm and get settled before everyone else got there.  The Cross Country team is awesome!  I have only been at Coe for a couple weeks, and the team already feels like family!  I also attended Writing Center Orientation during my first week here, and I am enjoying being part of the Writing Center Staff already.  If you're not a runner or a writer, I highly recommend you get involved in whatever activities interest you, because there are so many fun things to do here!  After my initial week here, my parents came back so we could all be part of the first day of orientation and the actual move-in day for students.  The picture above is of me ringing the Victory Bell on the first day of Freshman Orientation, which is a big tradition here at Coe, that students get to do when they enter as a freshman, and again on their graduation day.  The orientation for freshman lasted about half a week, and was full of awesome activities!  We got to play kickball, paint the windows in Gage Memorial Union (where the cafeteria and bookstore are, among other things), go Ice Skating at the Rough Riders stadium, see a Hypnotist, go to all kinds of presentations, and - best of all - participate in the Dragon Boat Races.  (Extreme heat, sorry we couldn't pull out the win, but it doesn't matter, because we're still the best CAP group<3)  In case you were wondering, your CAP group is a group of freshman that you spend your whole orientation week with and that are all in your First Year Seminar Course.  Each group has a CAP leader who is an upperclassman that is with you the whole time.  In any case, it was a very busy but great week and I'm looking forward to more fun activities at Coe!

No comments:

Post a Comment